Why is Home Security necessary?
In today’s age, home security is a matter of high concern. According to the latest statistical trends, there are 2.5 Million burglaries per year, 66% of which are home break-ins. Investigating further the matter, it becomes eminent that homes without a security system are three times more prone to break-ins or security breaches than those with one, suggesting the immediate need for it to watch your back.
The importance of ‘Locks’ in our lives
From motion sensors and burglar alarms to surveillance cameras, there are several options to go for but something as simple as door locks, which may be underrated, can do the job as efficiently as any other system.
The saying speaks for itself, ‘with good basics you’ll have endless options’. Locks are the most basic form of security, often taken for granted for their unlimited amount of uses. They not only ensure the security of our belongings but also of ourselves.
Have a look at our top picks and decide for yourself!
If you are looking for the best home lock, this is the best choice if you are looking for a tough lock that comes in style. It comprises of solid levers and single cylinder deadlock mechanism that would not move to open position unless the key is rotated thus making it reliable enough to be used even for military, government or industrial purpose. Although it is a single cylinder lock, it meets the standard requirements. Smart and strong Satin Chrome Plated design makes it a perfect choice both for replacing existing boring, worn out locks or new constructions.
- Schlage is one of the world best premium secure lock company
- Smart, in vogue Satin Chrome Plated design
- Security Grade: Fire test standard UL 10 C , 3 hours
- Meets standard grade 2 test requirements , ansi/bhma a156.2, series 4000
- Complete installation manuals and video guidance available from Schlage.
- This is a single cylinder design
- This Schlage B660P only fits to door thickness from 1 3/8″ to 2″
- Limited design and functions
- Advanced electrified motor driven features not available and no digital indicator
Schlage is world’s best lock making company with Mortise privacy set. If you are someone with acute aesthetic sense and need variety of designs to choose from within a security range somewhere s exceeding ANSI/BHMA Grade 1 Security, this Schlagle lock is just for you. It has an anti-saw pin in bolt to prevent cut-through and its security blocking hub keeps lock from picking. It is perfect for using in classroom doors.
It belongs to the popular L series known for its advanced features, multitude functions and a long list of designs to match your requirement. Schlage L9040 is a standard mortise lock with 180 degree visibility indicator, more than 55 standard functions, 14 finishes and around 40 escutcheon designs catering to different door thicknesses.
- Mortise privacy set
- Schlagle L9040 meets ANSI/BHMA Grade
- Secure deadbolt functions
- Customizable functions on top of more than 55 standard functions
- A variety of designs to choose from with no visible screws
- 180 degree visibility indicator
- No override keys
- No option for guest users
- It is not a digital or biometric lock
Another multifunctional from the best door lock brands is LockState LS-DB500-SN. If you tend to mess up with your keys, this secure door lock will make a perfect choice for your front gate as it is not just secure, digital but keyless as well. It is a state of the art lock with distinct features of auto relocking. It has programmable user codes with reasonable length and can make up to 6 user codes with a facility of temporary codes as well. Its security is enhanced with Lockout function. A classy Satin Nickel finish can fit in modern architecture. Illuminated keypad is another feature that makes this lock a preferred choice for sensitive areas. It can be used for both 8 inch and 4 inch doors.
- Keyless access with digital code
- Illuminated display visible from a distance
- 6 User codes with security code length of up to 6 digit length
- One time temporary codes for guest users
- Auto relocking feature
- 2 over ride keys for emergency
- 1 year warranty
- Low battery indicator
- Also available in Rubbed bronze and polished brass
- Not biometric
- Limited user codes
Bio-Matic Fingerprint Silver Right Handle Door Lock
Here you have best lock for home security form the best door lock manufacturers. If you want to eliminate the mess of keys from your life, with fool proof security and metered entrances, Bio-Matic Fingerprint Silver Right Handle Door Lock is the best option. Just add all the fingerprints of family members of employees and there you go. It is not just biometric that can store up to 150 fingerprints but is also weather proof. It has two back up keys and endorses its security with optical sensor technology. Low battery warning is also an added feature that adds up to lock security features. The best part is that you can Do It Yourself and do not need a professional to fix your lock.
- Easy programming with user friendly pin pad
- For accuracy, uses “Live Layer” optical sensor that also ensures high level security
- Uses 4 AA batteries.
- 2 over ride keys for emergency
- Low battery indicator
- Keyless solution
- Store capacity of 150 fingerprints
- Available in Gold Colour
- Side specific: Left and Right side lock
Defender Security U 10308 Swing Bar Lock
As there is a great probability that digitally accessible systems can be hacked or overruled in the presence of master key, so the most appropriate way of keeping yourself safe especially in a hotel is to use Swing Bar Lock. It is most practically appropriate type of locking device to be used for children. This brass finished lock comes with spacer and is easy to install. The best feature of this Swing Lock is its construction. It is made up of Zinc die cast that provides strength and durability.
- Top security lock manufacturers
- Best for child-safe security system
- Easy installation
- Manually operated
Best Smart Lock: August Smart Lock 2nd Generation
One of the possible choices available in the market for digital home security locks from the best lock making brand is August Smart Lock. Whether you are “Smart” clever clog who wants everything around him to be “Smart” or just a lazy freak who wants to get rid all the “KEY” related mess, August Lock is a good pick. It’s easy to install with user friendly interface and a high end performance. This 2nd generation of August Smart Lock is enhanced in all possible ways. This improved version can even communicate with Siri and Nest platform. What else can you ask for!
- Safe and smart security solution for door locks
- Option of tracking entry and leaving times etc.
- Interfaced with Siri through Home kit.
- Available in silver and dark grey
- Lock is compatible with selective deadbolt only
- Although integration with Siri is a big deal, this feature has no worth for non-Apple users.
Friday labs, best lock manufactures with a mission of making home security automation simple presets Friday Lock, a unique time of home security and locking solution. Its wireless, it’s keyless and guess what it’s also the smallest! As the saying goes, all good things come in small packages, so is the case with this little beauty. It comes in 7 different colors to match your choice. Perfect functionality with simple installation and best home security solution.
- Small, smart, keyless
- Easily generated keys for friends and family
- Scandinavian design … beauty and simplicity
- Manageable through app
- It needs to improve compatibility issues
- Needs serious firmware to deal with wireless messages
- Limited remote access
Gate Labs Camera Smart Lock
Gate Labs is an authentic security lock manufactures who have created World’s first ever video smart lock, which is one of its kind. If you need security through video recording, Gate Labs Camera Smart Lock is best choice. You can not only get to know about the visitors through alerts on your phone. You can talk to them in two way communication thus managing trusted access. Home entry access through key Pin is an added feature
- It has a physical key backup, usually not available in other locks
- Instant, easily editable access through contact sharing
- Trusted access through video recording and two way communication
- Video quality would be affected by the keypad lights
- Can’t be locked remotely and no auto unlock available
- Its charging last for about 2 weeks only and it needs recharging.
The Final Verdict!
While shopping for home security locks, it is important that you keep in mind your requirements and budget. Another very important element is that these home security locks are accredited by some standardization authority such as ANSII (American National standards Institute) and Builders Hardware Manufactures Association (BHMA) that have set up three grades of home door lock and deadbolt security. Grade 1 security is highest standard of security usually used in commercial purposes and deadlocks not for door handle locks, Grade 2 for light commercial and residential locks and Grade 3 is the minimum security standard.
It is highly recommended that for your smart home, you should consider smart home security solutions like Friday Lock or August Smart lock of If you like retro solutions, Schlag B660P deadbolt and Schlage L9040 mortise are good option. We hope this information will help you make a wise decision while selecting home security lock.